Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Booknerd on the Run

September 27, 2011
So I’m doing my hair at my vanity and I glance down at this book cover that’s sitting there. It’s There because let’s be honest, I can’t stand book covers. They get all flimsy and in my way when I just want to grab on to my book and dig in. I mean really, what’s the purpose? Other than to make the book look more appealing from the outside. But give me a plain jane book, nothing fancy and wow me when i dig in, that’s what i’m looking for in a book. And that’s why I love books, to collect them, re-read them, I don’t want to borrow yours, nothing against you but give me my own I can write in and highlight and put on the shelf for another day. I love them because no matter how fancy the cover, how dramatic the picture, how catchy the name, until you get in to it you really don’t know how great it is—or lame. As the saying goes, you truly can’t judge the book by it’s cover, and I love that!
Thinking about that made me think of why I love running so much. I’ve found over the last few races or so you’re taking in all the people around, different ages, sizes, dress and so on. I’ve found myself in the past determining in my head who I thought must have been running for ages and who has no idea what they’re getting into. Comparing the gadgets and newest shoes and sometimes just by how ‘in shape’ they looked. And then found myself marveled at the people that actually kicked my butt and those who barely made it across the line—and I was usually wrong. I love that about running, there is no restrictions, age limits, try-outs—-anyone can run. And you can’t judge from just looking if they’re any good. You can’t pre-determine that the grey hair is going to be slow, I’ve actually found they are well conditioned, been at this for years, and give me a run for my money, They are pacing me! We’re playing catch-me-if-you-can game and I’m the one trying to catch him! Some people in the fancy gear actually have nothing more than just that, fancy gear. This may have been their first race but in my head I pinned them as the winner based on what? Their Garmin watch?? I’ve also found that you Can tell a lot about a runner Once they’re running…This is interesting. Up until that point you’re all just a bunch of people standing around, waiting. But once you’re Running, you can tell who’s a well trained runner, who’s conditioned, who’s done more than just put on the new shoes. They take consistent strides, they are in control of their breathing, they have minimal movement—-that last one intrigues me. A conditioned runner uses as little unnecessary movement as possible, using just what he needs to keep going, no wasting energy on wide arm swings, flailing like a drowning chicken, moving all over. But you wouldn’t know this until you see them in action. You can’t tell how many years have been put in, the sweat and discipline just by looking at them. Just like you’d never know how good a book is until you read it. There’s an Action that is required first Before the judgment. That first step of faith before you can see the next.
But isn’s this true in just about all of life? We view people, things, situations from the outside and make a pre-determined judgement, and then base Our life off of that! Sounds crazy right? It is. Would you pick up a book, look at the fancy cover and decide it Must be the most knowledgeable read out there? I mean in reality, do those new running shorts Actually make you faster when you put them on? Make you conditioned to run a marathon just because you look the part? Of course not. But you have already excluded yourself from trying because your ‘gadgets’ aren’t as good as someone else’s, dismissed the book full of knowledge because the cover is cheesy and missed an opportunity to take on a new adventure because you’ve already limited yourself, excluded yourself. You assume you won’t be able to do it so you excuse yourself from the already impending embarrassment you Know that was sure to come if you tried.
I’ve found this incorrect, life-sucking thinking to be apparent in my life and been working to remove it as quickly as possible. Somewhere in my life there have been limitations put on me, or taken on myself, that say “You won’t be good at that…”, “You can’t do….”. Those times when you look at something and say “Oh i could never do that…” and dismiss the thought without further review. But WHY can’t you do ‘that’? Have you tried? Do you not want to? Or do you already assume you’d be an epic fail because……??? And how did you come to that conclusion without any evidence? How many times have you convinced yourself you’re not a runner before you even got your shoes on? I’ve found that many times in my life i would dismiss an opportunity for a new adventure based on judging it from the outside. I can’t run a marathon of course, I mean I’M not a runner.….. Um, why not again?? There are 80 year old women on their 10th marathon, people with prosthetic limbs doing it, but i can’t because…..??? Ya that will change your perspective, it’s definitely changed mine. I figured I couldn’t mountain bike with my husband. Why?? No good reason other than I didn’t even let myself Ponder the opportunity without dismissing it, so i tried it and loved it! I’m not Great and can’t do some of the more challenging courses but i Can mountain bike. I’m working to stop excluding myself before I’ve even laced up and give it a shot, you Can’t go through life limiting yourself based on judgements you’ve made from the Outside. Do you know how many books I Wouldn’t have read because of the cover? And I’m a book nerd! I’ve missed lots of new adventures in my past because I was afraid or I believed a lie about myself, I put limitations on myself. But I consciously work to push past that. I can do all things through Christ, so why not a mini-triathalon!? Any time I find myself saying “Oh i can’t do that…” I stop and ask myself WHY? If i can’t find a Good reason, I have to at least give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment